Kata: "Splitting the Loot" (RubyQuiz?) in Ruby (www.rubyquiz.com/quiz65.html)
- 20:15 ~ 20:30 Discussing the Problem
- The problem was the same as last meeting's. Last time we were not able to finish, so we decided to solve it again, as a PreparedKata. The approach this time was to use a brute force backtracking algorithm.
- 20:30 ~ 22:00 Coding Session
- The problem was solved in Ruby, using Rspec and Rbehave. This time we also recorded a screencast of the meeting, that will be available to whoever is interested in watching how a Coding Dojo session is conducted. The code is available at groups.google.com/group/dojo_sp/files.
- 22:00 ~ 22:15 Retrospective
- Some of the lessons learned from the session were: a lot of Ruby/Rspec?/Rbehave?; the greedy algorithm was not enouhgh to solve this NP-complete problem; the concepts of a Story vs. a Spec; the approach of starting with a solution recognizer before moving on to the solver itself. On the other side, this was the meeting with the fewer number of participants (5) and without food. We hope everything goes back to normal on the next meeting.